Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Blogpost 1

Class Survey

Personal Information:
  1. What name do you prefer to be called?
  2. Hometown and photograph of you (inserted in your blog so I can connect you with your name).
  3. Grade level and subject(s) that you want to teach.
  4. What are you into; what makes you special? Share a few “unique” aspects about yourself that would help our classroom community get to know you a bit better.
1. Kayla

2. University Heights, Ohio

3. First or Second grade, no specific subjects

4. I've lived in University Heights my whole life, and  have never gone to school more than 5 minutes away. I played volleyball and softball in high school and am playing varsity volleyball at JCU. I love working with children; I worked at the child care center at my high school for the past three years, and volunteered there for the five years prior to that. Ever since I was little, I've always known that I wanted to be a teacher; some of my teachers have made such an impact on my life and I would love to be able to do the same.


Learning Style and More:
  1. Being as specific as you can, what must be in place for you to feel comfortable taking intellectual and creative risks in a classroom?
  2. I am interested in your perception of yourself as a student. Please describe it. Consider such criteria as a) active oral class participation; b) responsible, timely class preparation (of readings, projects, etc.); c) honest, candid self-assessment; d) awareness of your own preferred learning styles/approaches; e) first thing that you do when you cannot or do not understand something; f)other dimensions you believe to be relevant and informative.
1. Knowing that my opinion will be valued, I think I would be comfortable expressing myself. 

2. I am usually not too talkative during class, it sometimes depends on the subject we are talking about. I feel that I am responsible, I prepare for class by getting my work done and being on time to class. I am honest, it is always better to tell the truth than to lie, no matter what the situation. I enjoy doing hands on experiences, it helps me learn more quickly about the task. If I do not understand what we are doing in class, I will make sure to ask another student or go to the teacher for help.





Education Past and Present
7. Share a formative memory from your experiences as a student.
8. Please discuss what are, for you, some significant issues or concerns facing the field of education right now.

7. I was really struggling with this one chapter in my history class and I went to my teacher for help and she offered to meet with me one-on-one and specifically go over the chapter. She made sure that I felt comfortable with it after the meeting and that I was well prepared for the upcoming test.

8. Being a teacher has so many perks, but also many disadvantages. I am worried about the limited job openings and being able to find a job where I want to live. Also, more and more schools are requiring incoming teachers to have a masters degree. Some parents can also be a challenge and hard to please.

About Dr. Shutkin:
9. Write down a question or two that you would like to ask me about myself or the class.
Using your preferred email account, please send me an email message with a link to your blog.

9. How long have you been teaching this class and why did you become a teacher?

No comments:

Post a Comment