Sunday, October 5, 2014

Blogpost 5

Rofes (2005) makes clear distinctions between liberal and radical conceptualizations of addressing homophobia and heterosexism in k-12 schools. Discuss these distinctions with examples from schools you attended. How does Rofes (2005) discuss childhood? What do the liberal and radical distinctions of addressing homophobia and heterosexism have to do with contemporary understandings of childhood? What do you believe and what is your vision for the school where you hope to be teaching in the next four years? (250 thoughtful words).

During my schooling experience, I haven't come across many times where we weren't open and accepting. Yes, there will always be a few kids that will make rude remarks, but overall as a group we were very accepting and not judgmental. I went to Hathaway Brown, an all girls school, and because it was an all girls school I think that people we're more comfortable to be themselves and come out. I didn't realize much of a difference with people coming out between my freshman and senior year. They didn't choose to hide it early on and I am glad they didn't. They weren't afraid to show who they really were and we all accepted that. A couple of times, I have seen girls holding hands walking through the halls and showing emotion with each other and I am happy that they feel that comfortable to do so. Of course, there are some people who feel uncomfortable seeing this, point people out, and make rude remarks, but no matter what, there will always be those people in life no matter who you are and what you are doing. When I am a teacher, I want the classroom to be a safe and open place for all of the children. I want them to be comfortable to be themselves and feel like it is okay to be who they are. I want everyone to know it is okay to be different and be who they are and that no one will judge them for it. Everyone is different and we just need to accept who they are, no matter what. 







No comments:

Post a Comment