Saturday, October 11, 2014

Blogpost 6

Capture your thoughts on postits marking the place in the book where you had your thoughts. As you are reading, please pay close attention to your thought process. Using Postit notes, mark places in the text where you become conscious of your thinking process. Examples: questions, things you wonder about, making a prediction about what is next, offer some critique and analysis, connect to other readings, connect to observations in the field, connect to current affairs in the news, relate to a lived experience and so forth. Take one or more of the annotations and develop it further into BlogPost6.

While reading Paulo Freire's "The Banking Concept of Education", it made me realize that that is how education really is today. Thinking back on my experiences as a student in grade school, I realize that I was mainly just being fed information. Freire referred to is as the teacher "making a deposit". Which, if you think about it, it's true. During the time, I didn't think anything about the way I was taught. I just thought that thats how it works and thats the way it would be. Students just memorize, not actually understand the concepts at hand. In order to be able to remember something and remember it for a decent amount of time, you have to fully understand it not just memorize the words. I know from experience that memorizing the information for the test the night before does not help in the long run. When it came time for midterms, there were some sections that I completely forgot about and were foreign to me. Students still do this, know what they need to know for a test, forget about it right after and then its not brought up again. The other method brought up in this chapter was the "problem-posing method". This method makes the students use their brains and really focus and understand what they are learning. It teaches them to take risks that they usually wouldn't even think about. The bank concept vs. the problem posing method is completely different and I think that the problem posing method needs to be used much more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment