Saturday, October 11, 2014

Field Blog-Beachwood MS

     Going into Beachwood Middle School for our first field experience, I didn't really know what to expect. I have never gone to a public school before so I wasn't quite sure what it was going to be like. I have never actually sat in on a class before and observed what was going on, but I have helped teach and run a few lessons for a fourth grade class at my high school. While observing, I really tried to focus on how the teachers were teaching and how the students reacted to their style. It is very important to make sure that the students understand your teaching methods and that they are comfortable in the classroom setting.
     The first classroom I was in was a history class taught by Mr. Baker. There were very few students in this classroom, but Mr. Baker made sure to point out that the class sizes are usually double or more the size of this class. The students were reviewing for a test or quiz and the main focus was on Henry Ford. Mr. Baker had made up a slideshow with information about Henry Ford, his life, and accomplishments. While reviewing, he would go through each slide and talk about it more in detail so the children would understand it.  Each child had a mini whiteboard at their desk and when Mr. Baker would ask a question, each one of the students would write the answer on their whiteboard and hold it up to show the teacher. Mr. Baker would then walk around the room, looking at each white board. Using the whiteboards, Mr. Baker said, saves a lot of time because he doesn't have a bunch of hands going up and a couple kids trying to answer the question.  This way, the students are participating the whole time and are forced to be engaged. I think this is a good method for reviewing because the students have to pay attention the whole time and don't have other ways to distract them. I did notice, though, during the review, that the students weren't taking any notes on the powerpoint slides or the teacher talking, they were just paying attention and writing on their whiteboards. Mr. Baker had a pretty low and monotone voice, which I'm sure can get a little boring for the students but they seemed to be doing well with focusing on the subject and keeping distractions aside.
     The next classroom I observed in was a Language Arts class taught by Mrs. McCormac. For the first fifteen or so minutes of class, the students got out their computers and focused on learning a specific topic. They each had a chart online where they would work with grammar and other mechanical skills. Mrs. McCormac said that learning grammar must be repetitive in order for the students to understand it. You can't just go over it once and expect the students to understand and know what to do. In order for it to stick, you must go over it over and over until they are comfortable with the material. While some of the students were finishing up their charts, the ones who were finished read silently to themselves or just sat there quietly. There was one girl in the class who I think had a learning disability, and she sat off to the side of the class. There was another man/teacher in the class who was specifically helping her, which made it easier for Mrs. McCormac. This is Mrs. McCormac's last year teaching at Beachwood Middle School and I can kind of tell why... She didn't seem to have much patience with the students. It seemed to me like she would sometimes put them down instead of just correcting them or helping them figure out the answer. When I am a teacher, I will make sure to help the students figure out the correct answer and not just correct them and make them feel lower than you.
     Going to Beachwood Middle School was a good learning experience. I had to different types of teachers with completely different styles of teaching. One class was very small and the other was larger. The students in the smaller classroom seemed to pay more attention and focus more because there were fewer distractions, less children. They were also a grade or two older so that made a big difference. The Language Arts class seemed a little out of hand at times; I noticed a few students not paying attention at all or talking to the person next to them. I think smaller class sizes are much more effective, and that is how it was in my high school and I feel that worked best for me. Every student is different and has a different learning style, so the teacher will just have to make accommodations to fit the students needs.




No comments:

Post a Comment