Friday, December 5, 2014

Field Blog-HB (day 2)

    After spending my first day with the children, I was very excited to come back. They are so warm and welcoming and seem like they will love you no matter what. I was anxious to see how the day would go because we were going on a field trip to Squires Valley. They go there three times every month just to get them out of the classroom and get some exercise. Before I observed this day, I had one of the teachers give me a link about the positive effects of nature on children. As a kid, I was constantly outside playing. I loved being outside and still do to this day. Now a days, children are staying in more and more because of the technological advancements. There are now so many game systems and television shows and computer games to play that the children stay in more and more. The technological advances have led to many positives but also caused many negatives.
    The children ate lunch in the classroom before we left and then began to get ready to head out. Getting ready was so very chaotic. I was helping the kids get their snow suits, coats, hats and gloves on and it was just so crazy. They weren't listening very well to begin with and then they were hitting each other and throwing things every where. The teachers warned me that getting ready usually gets hectic, but until I was in it, doing it, I didn't realize how crazy it could get. They were like trying to tame wild animals. It took us probably ten to fifteen minutes to get ready and start heading out to the buses. The teachers had to pull aside a few of the kids and have a talk with them about their behavior and what they need to change. Loading the bus was also a very difficult process... You had to help every kid get into their seats and make sure they were buckled up properly. It also just wasn't one class going on this field trip, but three pre-k classes, even more hectic. The whole bus ride the kids were yelling across the way, trying to talk to their friends. I remember my head pounding because of all of the noise.
   We finally get there after fifteen to twenty minute bus ride of screaming and kicking. It was freezing out. I wore two pairs of pants, two pairs of socks, a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, coat, a hat and gloves, and rain boots. I thought I was pretty well prepared, but I was still cold. The kids were running around, so they weren't cold. But just standing there, watching them play was freezing. We hiked in the woods a little bit and the children loved being in nature and exploring everything. There was a creek, which of course they all ran straight to. The teachers just stayed back and let the kids interact with each other. They were able to work out arguments and eventually get along pretty well. They absolutely loved this experience and being able to be outside. After a little over an hour of running around and playing, it was time to start heading back to the bus. Loading them up again wasn't as much of a struggle because they were all tired out. The bus ride back wasn't nearly as noisy as before, thank God.
     I really enjoyed being able to go on a field trip with these classes and watching them interact with each other without a lot of adult interaction. They are such a good and fun group of kids and I loved spending time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment